TISCO Ford Med Gray

[ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by raven on January 13, 2013 at 23:18:51 [URL] [DELETE] :

Recently purchased a spray can of TISCO/Van Sickle, Ford medium gray (TP 240 SP) spray paint.

Made a paint sample on a chunk of 1"X 1" X 1/4" thick aluminum bar.

Let the sample cure for three days inside, were the air temperature was 68F, minimum.

Placed the sample on the inside surface of the air inlet that was not exposed to UV.
The air inlet was sanded with 360 sand paper to remove any oxidation.
The sample was slightly more olive green color than the original air inlet part, but the part probably had faded somewhat over the last six decades.
Actually the paint sample appears more green than gray.

Took the sample to Home deport to have it analyzed for color tint on the spectrum analyzer.

While returning home from Home Depot a Ford Edge passed me on the highway. The Ford Edge was exactly the same color in the sunlight as the TISCO paint sample I had laid on the console. I caught up with the Ford Edge and compared the paint sample and Ford paint color for many miles. How many green cars do you see today?
The paint sample and the Ford edge were the same color in the daylight.

When I got home looked up the Ford Edge color on the Dupli Color website.
The color was only used for 2009 Ford Edge, Flex & Fusion.
The Color code is P6, moss green. Yes ,green not gray.
This Ford moss green color has not been offered in 2010, 2011, 2012, & 2013 model years, apparently it was not so popular.

This Ford paint color can be made at any automotive paint color store using the Ford paint code P6 in an automotive urethane type paint using a catalyst hardner and will match the TISCO Ford medium gray color.

The TISCO Ford medium Gray paint is 365/384 OZ of yellow dye, 258/384 OZ of black dye, 10/384 OZ violet dye in 1 quart of white base. The blue in the violet and the yellow make up the strong olive green tint.

In my opinion this TISCO paint is overboard on the green tint and does not match the original gray color. The color appears more green than gray.

Also, have checked out the Valspar tractor and implement industrial line of paint in Ford gray color. This paint is a very light gray with no green tint proved again by spectrum analysis. This gray is so light it is almost off white color.

Have checked out the TSC light Ford gray paint. In my opinion this paint color better matches the original color on the air inlet cover. Spectrum analysis shows this paint has blue and yellow dye, proving it contains a green tint, but is not the heavy green tint of the TISCO Ford medium gray paint.
The problem I have with the TSC paint is that it very light on curring agents, which means it takes at least 10 hours of cure for dry to touch condition and it takes about 3 months to cure in the summer months using the scrape test method.
According to the paint engineer at Valspar in Moline , Ill, the curring agent is most expensive additive in the spray paint.

Still have NOT found a suitable paint for the 8N sheet metal parts.

Seeking any suggestions.

Follow Ups:

Subject: :

Posting not permitted in the forum archives.<1358137131">

[ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]