Re: TISCO Ford Med Gray

[ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dabrowski on January 17, 2013 at 12:45:08 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: TISCO Ford Med Gray posted by Tim Daley(MI) on January 15, 2013 at 12:42:35:

This paint issue is one that just keeps coming around. I have a 47 vintage 8N and I pulled off the hood and after removing the fuel tank found the original paint in pretty good condition. I rubbed out a good sized patch to get it back to as best as it would get. I got a spray can of the New Holland Grey Enamel 39/62 and a can of TP240 med grey from Tisco. I masked off a couple of spots and sprayed each with one of the new paints. My result was that the Tisco TP240 was a real match, while the New Holland was somewhat too light a shade. It was easy to see. I ended up doing a good spray chip with the Tisco and had my body guy match it with PPG water borne paint with which he did hood, fenders, headlights and wheels. Really came out nice.

As for the red, I believe John Smith's Centari recommendation is probably spot on, although Dupont may have discontinued that and replaced it with Nason single stage urethane. In any event both are pretty expensive. The Centari C8508 color is a GM Code 81 color called Bright Red used on 2002 Camero and Firebird and also the 2003 Grand Prix and Intrigue. It also was used 1985-86 as Flame Red. The only spray can of that available, that I have seen, is in Dupli-Color laquer and can be found in O'Riley auto parts stores. The IH red Tisco TP110 seems a very close match to the Code 81.

A less expensive Code 81 Flame Red single stage urethane is available from Kirker automotive finishes and comes in gallon cans #8995 from Auto Body Toolmart in Chicago, $74.99 for the paint and $23.99 for the #8918-0x catalyst, three part paint to one part catalyst (the paint is in a gallon can containing three quarts to which you add the quart of catalyst so it is $99 for a gallon of finish). I understand Eastwood automotive urethanes are Kirker re-named.

As for Rustoleum spray can I found Sunrise Red a little brighter than the TP110 and Regal Red a little darker.

Follow Ups:

Subject: :

Posting not permitted in the forum archives.<1358444708">

[ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]