points gap/oil pump

[ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bri on August 24, 2012 at 10:17:28 [URL] [DELETE] :

Gentlemen,
1. Burnt my points pretty bad last week on 8n214, my 6v, 1949 8n w/front mount dist, and changed them out with a set of echlin's. I followed Bruce's tutorial and everything went as planned except that I can only achieve a gap of 0.013" with the eccentric. I installed it at 0.013 and she runs ok but not quite as I hoped. Been a long time since I have even thought about points and capacitors, since I have been retrofitting hall effect electronics to my vehicle's since the 70's.
the eccentric doesn't have a worn groove in it, and removing it seems to be the only way to open up the gap. I don't see any problem with removing the eccentric.
Will this unit run better at 0.015 gap?

2. When My 350 chevy started losing oil pressure at 128k, I installed a "high volume" oil pump, and she still maintains 55psi to this day with over 300k on it. 8n214 is running fairly low pressure when hot, but sounds ok,(dosn't rattle) and has OK (100#+) compression on all 4 cylinders. is there a high volume pump available for the continental engine?
I haven't accessed the pump and don't know what the clearances measure, it might even be a relief spring now I think of it.

I will appreciate comments on either of these questions, Thanks

Follow Ups:

Subject: :

Posting not permitted in the forum archives.<1345817848">

[ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]