Re: earliest tract-o-lite?(pics)

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Randy on June 16, 2007 at 15:44:01 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: earliest tract-o-lite?(pics) posted by don b on June 16, 2007 at 15:43:31:

Don, in response to your question on what do I find on 8N-15513 and -15514, the door is specified to be made from .026 inch brass, was drawn in 2/49. In the border of the drawing written in tiny letters upside down is HALL. Maybe this means something, maybe not. Sometimes engineers jot things down in the strangest places (me included). No plating, just paint.

The 8n-15514 is interesting. It was drawn in 8/48 and released in 9/48. The part number 1H-13465-A was added in 4/51. This is a trade number 1133 6 Volt 32 candle power bulb. The reflector is made of .025 brass and silver plated, not painted and does not have a Ford number. This is pretty firm proof to me that the whole thing was purchased assembled. Soldering electrical parts was not, of course, Ford's specialty. The gasket is RN-415-PB white sulphur-free rubber, thickness is not dimensioned, but it looks to be at least .060 thick.

The lens is described, as the last revision of original drawing left it in 7/53, as quote-crystal lens, cover entire inside surface of lens with .06 dia. hemispherical prisms.-unquote. The outer surface is not described other than a note pointing to it saying quote-vendor's identification-unquote. The 12 volt version FDF-15514-A was added to same print 4/15/54. There is no indication of supplier except it is clear that several were permitted, because of note that became the standard note Ford Tractor used on many drawings: quote-NOTE engineering approval of samples from each supplier is reqd prior to authorization of part production-unquote. Another note specifies quote-manufacturer trade mark and bulb trade no. to be indicated. --addition of voltage and power rating optional-unquote.

Follow Ups:

Subject:

Posting not permitted in the forum archives.

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]