Re: Most Dangerous Thing In Your Shop

[ Safety Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Red Neckerson on June 03, 2007 at 19:21:32 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Most Dangerous Thing In Your Shop posted by Dan 2N on August 05, 2006 at 17:25:38:

I think the most dangerous thing anyone has is confidence. Anytime anyone who works with machinery of any kind and gets to thinking they are too good they forget to respect the equipment they are operating. Most of the time when somebody gets hurt by equipment it's because they forgot they weren't to good to get hurt. I have had many lessons from everything from old hit-n-miss engines to motorcycles all because I wasn't thinking about what I was doing. Very few beginers get hurt because they are worried about doing something wrong and thinking about everything they do and old pro's don't usually get hurt because they've learned the lessons the hard way. It's usually guys that have a few months or years under their belt and think they have whatever they are running whipped that get hurt. Hopefully you get lucky like me and get lessons that hurt for a little bit but don't kill or cripple you. These lessons will make you smarter and safer in the future. If you want to try and play or work with things like these old tractors and equipment without getting hurt the best advice you can get is these two words..... WHAT IF?
This advice does'nt seem like much but if you will just think these two words BEFORE you do whatever you are doing
What if .........
that belt comes off?
the tractor jumps in or out of gear?
the ground is soft?
that loading board breaks?
my shirt or clothes get caught in that ?
I lose my balance ?
See what I mean , those to words if you learn to use them will save you alot of band-aids and possibly your life.
These tractors and the like can be alot of fun and great hobby as well as huge work savers , but remember 1 thing machinery of any kind does NOT forgive mistakes and doesn't care about your life. That part is up to you. That bush-hog doesn't care if it's cutting brush or your legs so you have to.
Have fun and keep this old stuff running but don't forget to ask WHAT IF?

Follow Ups:

Subject:

Posting not permitted in the forum archives.

[ Safety Forum ] [ FAQ ]