Re: Shoulder surgery

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ed Gooding (VA) on January 18, 2022 at 05:44:04 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Shoulder surgery posted by KCTractors on January 02, 2022 at 21:22:47:

You may want to consider a reverse shoulder replacement. Starting to see more of them than the usual ones. My wife works for one of the best shoulder surgeons in central Virginia and she says he does a ton of them. He's also invented one of the components that are used. A good friend just went through this and I was amazed at how quickly he was back to a full range of motion. I've had a ton of friends go through rotator cuff repair over the years and based on what I've observed from them, this type of surgery would be put off as long as possible. But the shoulder replacement, based on my buddy and what my wife says seems to be a faster journey back to full use.

One thing that I would recommend to anyone considering knee or shoulder replacement is to start your rehab exercises a month BEFORE your surgery. Work on strength-building and especially flexibility. I've followed this process for both of my knee replacements (just had my left done on the 4th) and I've recovered a lot more quickly than most according to my surgeon and my pain levels have been much lower, allowing me to get by on Tylenol Arthritis strength and an occasional opiate. I was released from physical therapy two weeks early last time because I had met all my surgeon's goals. I have my first post-op exam on the 26th and the goal was 90-degrees of range of motion by then but I am already there as of last Friday.

Whether or not you have the self-discipline to do this before surgery, you better suck it up and deal with the pain of rehab after. You have 90 days before the scar tissue sets up and then you will not progress from there. I'm still having in-home PT, so I took another tip from my wife and I take a pain pill an hour before Wretched Gretchen (my physical terrorist) gets here. Still hurts but allows me to tolerate it enough to do the work.

Good luck with yours.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]