Re: BNO-MOTO-TUGS

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bruce(VA) on November 17, 2009 at 11:09:00 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: BNO-MOTO-TUGS posted by Fred (Grand Lake) on November 01, 2009 at 15:53:24:

Yea, I can't imagine being in the North Atlantic in the winter & having to fight a war. My father did; US Navy Armed Guard. They were the gunners on the Liberty Ships & T-2 tankers. My father crossed the Atlantic a few times, made one trip to Russia & then the Pacific. I wrote up the page at the link for him & my mother. The picture was taken in Recife Brazil, 1945. My Dad is on the far right. And, it's an Army motorcycle.....painted gray, numbers changed.

I understand your comment about not seeing the light of day. I was in Norfolk VA on business a few months after the battleship Wisconsin was opened for tours. I was walking on the main deck when I overheard a younger guy pointing out things to the couple he was with; turns out he served on the ship in the Gulf War. But, in order to actually tour the ship, he had to come back as a civilian! As he said, it wasn't a cruise ship; you had a duty station, billeting area & a mess deck & you were not allowed any where else. He did say that when the ship was recommissioned, the crew had to find some WWII vets to explain some of the more obscure pumps, etc that the old blue prints didn't cover. He said more than one old vet related how his entire tour of duty, 24 - 36 months in some cases, was spent being in charge of 2 or 3 pumps. Below decks!

Follow Ups:

Subject:

Posting not permitted in the forum archives.<1258474139">

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]