Re: Question for John Gustafson aka Gaspump

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gaspump on August 04, 2009 at 07:25:09 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Question for John Gustafson aka Gaspump posted by Zack Smith on August 04, 2009 at 07:11:12:

Before the 1960's that site was pretty much out in the country. I think you are correct as to the time frame. It's hard to determine what happened when and records are very scarce. When I was there it was the Ford Tractor Division of Ford Motor Co. L.E. Dearborn was the boss and he too was given the title of VP of Ford Motor as most division managers were. Thew Edsel had failed, economy was bad and the folks in World HQ looked at the Tractor Div as unnecsesary and needing too much money for their expansion program. They especially seemed to love cutting the Tractor Div budget. Since most were auto people they felt better to cut tractor money then that of autos. I liked L.E., fine man and was as I recall a Wyoming Cowboy. He lasted just a few years as the Tractor Div was again shaken up in the 60's. Like Mr Brock, his name was pretty much taboo when he left. Brock was not there when I was and I'm not certain he worked out of Maple Rd, never heard his name mentioned there. I think he had an office in the World HQ building and didn't show up in Birmingham very often. Seems Ford liked the past to be forgotten, it was never a discussion topic among employees. Since the Ford Family is still in control of FMC, I doubt anyone will write a sound history of Ford Tractors years, they could not do it without stepping on someones toes.

Follow Ups:

Subject:

Posting not permitted in the forum archives.<1249385109">

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]