Re: Plow Wrench

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on March 16, 2008 at 09:27:44 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Plow Wrench posted by Jonas Hastings on March 04, 2008 at 00:41:53:

Hi Jonas-
The unmarked (no logo) -17014 plow wrench or the "generic" versions were probably made by MANZEL and MOORE and sold to retailers like Sears and Monkey Wards. Moore made CRAFTSMAN tools at one time and eventually was sold to Danaher; then Easton. I would tend to agree with Mr. Harry Kidd that an unmarked version is not a Ford issued tool. I simply say that because Ford was meticulous about putting part numbers on everything. In my collection I have some unmarked with no markings at all; M (MANZEL) logo; (M) MOORE logo but no lot number; and (M)Moore with a lot number but no FORD script. The one common denominator is the exact shape, size and pronounced inch hash marks with the 3 and 6 defined. Harry and I are still researching this as well as the other tractor tools. My recent discovery is that the early 9N tool list has the two small open end wrenches as B-17015 and B-17016. These are identical in size and shape to the A-17015 and A-17016 wrenches issued with the Model A. My understanding is that Ford changed part numbers with a prefix or suffix to denote an engineering change of some sort. I can't figure out what the changes were because like I said they look identical. Of course a little later on Ford went to the O1A-17015 and O1A-17016 wrenches for the tractor tools which were visibly different. We continue to unravel the mysteries, but no one book or document will ever hold ALL of the changes.

Tim Daley(MI)
*9N653I* & *8NI55I3*

Follow Ups:

Subject:

Posting not permitted in the forum archives.

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]