Thinking out loud.

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jon Rhee (RI) on January 02, 2008 at 17:00:10 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Ford BNO40 Airport Tug posted by Ncorrigible on December 27, 2007 at 07:54:28:

I've never seen one of these in person but casual observation of the unit via photograph suggests to me that there is a completely different front and rear end on the Moto Tug than on the N Series tractor. It has a much lower center of gravity than the N tractors. I would assume that it has a 5 ton truck rear end (dual wheels), and a truck transmission. I think a truck transmission because they would need a higher gear than the N's have simply to be able to get the tug out of the way FAST. 7MPH probably wouldnt cut it on a busy airfield. The Worthington tractor is a close relative I think. It was first developed for pulling gang mowers on airfields. The Worthington in the late 40's clearly used the Ford N Industrial Unit which consisted of the hood, radiator, engine, battery and dash. I doubt Ford supplied complete tractors to them. Worthington then built a chassis, drop axle in front, 4 speed tranny with truck rear end and a platform for to mount the drivers seat.

Are the Moto Tugs using the Industrial Power Unit? If not, I would think that Ford or Ferguson intercepted N engine/hood units from their own line and had a complete separate line for the Moto Tugs using those intercepted power units. Of course during war time I would assume that much of tractor production might have been halted to provide assembly efforts for other things like Jeeps, Tanks and B-25's.

Follow Ups:

Subject:

Posting not permitted in the forum archives.

[ N History Forum ] [ FAQ ]