Ford N year and model

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dawn on May 25, 2024 at 12:37:53 [URL] [DELETE] :

I dared to leave my 12yr old son alone for 10 minutes while I ran in the house to make sandwiches. Upon return, I saw him across the street at the estate sale. I could see him watching me as I approached, and he was talking fast, and just as I got there, he quickly reached in for "the handshake", the seal of the deal, his word, something he knew I would not, could not, break. He had successfully haggled for the xxxx year Ford 9N(?)/2N(?) before I could stop him, he had been waiting for the opportunity and he did not waste that sandwich making time. For the past week, he has been giving it a health service check, running it, figuring out what needs attention. I have been trying to figure out the year so he can get the best information for maintenance, and of course, just for the knowledge / history of the tractor. The estate owner's kids weren't able to tell us. I found a number on the block, but it's a little odd because it has a capital letter "I" in it, at a tilt, and I'm not sure if it is considered a "1" or not, but it is off-kilter from the rest of the numbers, it doesn't appear to be a part of the serial number. The number reads *9NI0696* (in place of the asterisks, there is an actual little star on both sides of the number). which would make it a 1939 9N without the potential "1" or a 1943 2N if the I is a 1. Neither makes sense to me when I read the years of changes, but perhaps someone here can help?? Here are my other observations: There are freeze plugs on the engine block & a hinged battery lid, both these attribute I read started in 1940. From 1941, we have the 3 covered-spokes steering wheel, the vertical spokes in the grill, the 2pc riveted axle hub, and 10x28 tire/wheel, and the ignition switch on the steering column (left side). The starter switch is left side, solenoid location (not in front of gear lever as stated for 1941, not sure what year that is from). From 1942, we have the slotted central bar in the grill, an opening between the upper/lower holes in the rear axle for bolting on mudguards (no mudguard, the front-end loader bolts are in there now), and plate steel front axle/radiator supports. There is NO 2N engraved on the Ford badge and the bonnet/hood side panels do NOT have outside exposure mounting bolts. The 1943 pressurized radiator is also NOT there. The tractor is generator/battery, has rubber, and has I-beam radius arms. Any ideas??

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]