In Reply to: 1952 8n electrical problem posted by John Bear on April 08, 2023 at 09:03:28:
6 or 12 volt, generator or alternator?
" When I release the push button on the trani cover the plugs spark great"
Sounds like something is pulling down your ignition voltage.
1. Check both battery cable connections at both ends, especially where ground cable connects to the frame.
2. If ground cable connects up by the tool box, current has to go through several dash to frame connections that can be rusted. On my 8N I moved my ground cable to connect to the main frame down near the starter.
3. If you have a 12 volt alternator conversion and are using a resistor in series with original 6 volt coil check for too much resistance in resistor. In that case the + to - posts on coil should have about 1 1/2 ohms and have a 1 1/2 ohm resistor between coil and switch. Some alternator conversion kits come with a resistor that is wrong value. Also check for broken or corroded wires and high resistance in on/off switch.
4. If it is 12 volt a direct 12 volt no external resistor coil such as NAPA IC14SB would eliminate the resistor
5. With negative ground the - post on coil goes to side of distributor, with positive ground the + post on coil goes to side of distributor