In Reply to: 1952 8N with 12 volt conversion…. posted by Dead Eye Dave on June 06, 2022 at 04:24:27:
The solenoid is making a noise because of low voltage. That is likely caused by:
1. A weak battery (charge it & check it per tip # 49. Or get it load tested.)*
2. Dirty grounds/connections (remove the cables & clean the connections)
3. Bad cables or incorrect sized cables (replace them - see tip # 41)**
4. Bad ground between the starter & the block. (pull the starter away from the block & clean the mating area - see tip # 36)
* No matter what else you do, the battery must be fully charged. A 6 volt battery is fully charged at 6.32 volts, a 12 volt battery is fully charged at 12.65 volts. A fully charged battery cell will have a specific gravity of 1.265. At 5.95 volts, a 6v battery is dead; at 11.89 volts, a 12 v battery is dead.
** You can't see corrosion under the insulation.