Re: donnahoo

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank on May 04, 2022 at 17:02:31 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: donnahoo posted by frank on May 03, 2022 at 17:43:24:

Whoo-hoo!!!!!
I think I figured this one out. 1st off, I did initially have an issue with the tractor running on hills. Not sure why it was doing that this year......maybe there was some debris in one of the jets and I cleaned the carb. and got it out. I checked the float level, made a slight adjustment to where the float was pretty much level, sitting at 1/4th an inch from the gasket. So, I reinstalled it, and it was still dying on hills. From this point on, was where the frustration really began. So, swapping the floats from my orig. Marvel carb. didn't help, nor did the new needle and jet with wire to tie it to the float. After dinking around with it for a couple of days, on and off, I decided to get the el-cheapo $30 carb from ebay. And, as I said, it did the same thing right out of the box. So after all of the reading and research I have done, I took Bruce's advice and got a barb and some clear tubing to plug into the carb. bowl drain, so I could check for level when it stalled on a hill. Well, the idea that came to me this morning (or was it last night? It's all running together now.) of lowering the float level so that it would drop further as the fuel was consumed. I checked it (back to the Tractor Supply 6-7 yr. old carb.) again and it was still level and at 1/4th inch from the gasket. So, I increased the distance from 1/4th inch level floats, to 1/4th inch on the float side closest to the pivot point where the needle is. This made it almost 1/2 inch on the outside end of the float. Put it back together, tweaked it as best I could, then backed down from the barn to the fairly steep hill. It kept on running. I drove it around for a while, testing it on several hills and no stalls! I even let the tractor sit on a steep hill with the pto on, for 20 to 30 minutes. No stall! As both the Tractor Supply and the cheap-o ebay carb come with no directions or any documentation at all, I can only surmise that those float levels need to be set so that they will drop a little further as the gas is used. The 1/4th inch measurement from the marvel carb. is not necessarily correct for these aftermarket carbs., although they look identical to the marvel. My guess is the cheap Chinese carbs. just aren't built to precise specs., and each one may be a little different. Let this be a learning experience for other's that may have bought one of these cheap carbs. I put in the time. Someone else (I hope) will benefit from my misery! If it happens to start crapping out on me again, I will post.
I thank you guys for the free help that you have given me and am so glad that these forums are available to share experiences.
Thanks again, Frank

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]