In Reply to: Re: donnahoo posted by HCooke on May 03, 2022 at 19:02:30:
Ok, so here's the whole story.
My tractor started backfiring about 6-7 years ago.
No matter how well I cleaned it, I couldn't get it to deliver enough gas to keep it brom backfiring/popping.
So, I found a Tractor Supply new carb. for $100, and I bought it.
Installed it, worked great, and have been using it since.
So, this year the incline issue started.
My 1st instinct was to check the float for sticking.
I couldn't find any places that were "rubbing", but installed the original, still good float from the orig. marvel carb.
Same issue with the incline.
Set float 1/4 inch from gasket as recommended.
After messing with that for a couple of days, I saw the cheapo carbs on ebay.
So, I took a chance and got one.
After installing the carb., the tractor ran better than ever for 30 minutes.......on a level surface.
Then I back it out of my barn, only to have it stall out on the hill in front of my barn.
So, since the carb. was new, and under return warranty, I sent it back without opening it up. (I didn't want to void the warranty.)
Ordered and received a new, identical carb, installed it, and same issue.
I read extensively on tractor/8N forums about the fuel flow and the need to check it right when it stalled.
I did, and I got apx. 5 oz. per minute, which I have read is sufficient for this tractor.
I ended up opening one of the new carbs, and they are almost exactly the same as the orig., in construction.
So, when I ordered the new carb., I also ordered one of the vitron needle with seat and wire to secure it to the floats. This means the float needle should not be sticking as the fuel is consumed.
That didn't work either.
Then last night around 9:30 (been messing with this all day), I decided to remove the screen tube that connects to the 90 deg. elbow, just to try to eliminate some things.
I had removed all screens and cleaned before (only some small amount of rust in the sediment bowl. None in the screens themselves. clean,clean,clean), but was at a loss as what to do next.
I checked the fuel flow and from the drain hole in the carb. bowl, I got apx 9 oz. in one minute.
So, I button it up and what do you know, it kept running on a steep hill!
Alright, so I think I have it fixed.
I was putting my tools away, and decided to try it one more time to make sure it was still working.
Nope. stalled on the same location it was running fine on before.
I meant to mention this, but I had put the older TS carb. back on when running without the screen.
So, back to square one.
Today, I had a thought.
Maybe I should increase the distance for the float adjustment to, say 1/2 inch.
I am wondering if when on an incline, the float comes up on an incline as the fuel is angled in the carb., thereby cutting off the gas flow into the carb. and then finally the float drops just seconds after it stalls.
I don't know where I will go from there.
Thank you so much for your reply.
Someone has run into this before, and if I throw it out there, maybe someone will have the solution.
But, aftermarket or not, after 3 carbs., you would think one of them would have worked.....
Thank you again!