Re: Cant start my 1944 re-done 2N - been sitting three years

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bruce(OR) on October 20, 2021 at 22:18:22 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Cant start my 1944 re-done 2N - been sitting three years posted by Tim Bolen on October 20, 2021 at 12:03:03:

Southern Cali?
No mobile mechanic?
How many stolen cars?
Jose say can you see?
Mea Culpa.

Few people are capable of understanding basic internal combustion engine operation.
It applies to most things made from 1900 to 2021.
From the sound of it, I suspect a lack of spark. Pull off a plug wire and see what you get. It should jump a 1/4 inch gap with a fat blue spark.
No spark?
Pop the cap and crank it over watching the ignition points.
They sparking?
Yes?
Rotor might be cracked and shorting out.
No?
Either no power to the points, or the points are glazed/burnt and not completing the ground circuit to fire the coil.
Bad coil is a possibility also.
The wife's nail file is a fair points file just to see if it will at least fire.
Point gap will effect timing, so you might have something else to check once it is running.
Or be lazy like a lot of folks and be happy it is running.
That '44 should be a front mount dist that has a one way fit so you can pull it out to file the points.
Best one of those I saw had a 120 volt electrical wire twist nut in line on the power wire going to the dist. Made removing/installation a lot easier.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]