Re: Installing options(?) for an 8N10000 generator on a 1941 9N

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lou Puls on October 19, 2021 at 20:21:15 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Installing options(?) for an 8N10000 generator on a 1941 9N posted by Carl on October 19, 2021 at 13:02:05:

Thanks for the response, Carl. I have not yet found the subject of the mysterious reference on page 19 below FIG. 15 (of the remarkably helpful onsite N-History document a.k.a. THE FORD 9N TRACTOR GENERATOR, VOLTAGE REGULATOR, & CUTOU...) that "...there was a Service Bulletin which detailed the procedure to install an 8N-10000-B 3-brush generator on 2N and 9N tractors..." but I have indeed found the April 30 1940 Service Bulletin 71 (page 13) in regard to the changeover to the (early 3-brush) 9N-10000-B generator (and its 9N-10505-B Cut-Out) from the even earlier 30April-deprecated 2-brush generator 9N-10000 (and its voltage regulator 9N-10505-A). As I understand it (and perhaps Deano would agree), the 8N-10000 (and its essentially-equivalent 8N-10000-A, according to page 49 of the FO-4 Manual) are generators that have three brushes and also three terminals [the usual (A)rmature-terminal connection at the oil-cup end, and a thread-tapped hole in the barrel for the (G)round-terminal wire and another thread-tapped hole for an allegedly-insulatable feed-through for the (F)ield-terminal wire connection to a three-terminal Voltage Regulator, allowing its function as a 2-brush generator]. Convincingly from Deano, for its function to actually be a 3-brush generator, the (G)- and (F)-connections need to be jumpered in common for the ground wire to the Cut-Out's grounded base, while the (A)-connection wire leads to the Cut-Out's GEN-terminal. I doubt that my remote and presently-limited resources could help me make a competent insulated (F)-connection feed-through for the 2-brush/Voltage Regulator option at this time, so I think my choice must be to go with the 3-brush/Cut-Out option.
Thanks again, Deano and Carl, for your responses.
Lou

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]