Re: HELP.....8N generator gurus?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lou Puls on October 16, 2021 at 22:42:35 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: HELP.....8N generator gurus? posted by JMOR on August 30, 2021 at 11:05:30:

I also need a guru's help, and have learned much I never knew from your "JMOR's Wiring Diagrams." I am attempting to replace an original, methinks, 9N10000C generator (single terminal, 3-brush, tensioning band/spring kit) with what I understand should replace it on my still 6v 1941 9N (SN 54407): a 2-brush shunt-type, 3 terminal generator, the 8N10000B (or its equivalent). I ordered and received a new 8N10000 generator (from Yesterday's Tractors/All States Ag Parts) and was puzzled that it has only one terminal and also has the adjustment screw for an apparent 3rd brush -- looking very much like my defunct 9N10000C. A YT helpdesk said it was the correct replacement (including being OK for my front-mount type distributor), but said they would ask in-house and call back why it has an apparent 3rd brush and only a single terminal. I have not yet heard back from the YT people, but I would like to install a generator ASAP if possible (before coming snow). I'm wondering if this 8N10000 is somehow actually a suitable replacement for the 9N10000C (still using a new 9N10505A cutout, rather than an upgrade voltage regulator 8N10505C)? Or is the 3rd brush adjustment screw a known residual/vestigial false-front, and that the unlabeled threaded-holes in the casing (not the two used to mount back on the generator with the tensioning-band) are really the Field and Ground terminals used with the single Armature terminal on the end to connect to a new 3 terminal voltage regulator (8N10505C) I was told by YT was appropriate for a 2-brush 8N10000? I would disassemble the generator and check the internal connections, but if it would probably void any return if it's a mislabled/mispacked 3-brush device. Any advice you could provide would be greatly apppreciated. Best regards, Lou.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]