Re: Points, condenser

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by carl on September 28, 2021 at 07:23:45 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Points, condenser posted by TonynTX on September 20, 2021 at 15:38:37:

NAPA used to stock all USA made parts for the Ford N-Series tractor but I can't verify if this is still the case as I have not bought any N parts in a few years now. First off, DO NOT BUY the ECHLIN CS-35 points as they are junk now; used to be one of the 3 trustworthy brands but now made in the land of Chi-Coms. TSC is not any place you want to buy tractor parts from if they even sell any now. Heck, I wouldn't even buy pet food or hardware from them. For the FORD N-Series front mount distributor, there are but 3 quality brands made nowadays, and one may not be sold anymore either. They are:

Standard Ignition/Blue Streak, p/n FSX-6769X
CNH, p/n 87744542
TISCO, p/n ATK6FF

The CNH set of points may not be sold now. They last time I checked my local CNH dealer they said they couldn't find that part number. Those and the Blue Streak points are made in the USA and with the original style phenolic rubbing block and can be gapped and set correctly. The TISCO point kit also can be gapped and set right but have the plastic rubbing block. The TISCO kit includes the rotor, condensor, cam lube, and a handy .015" feeler gage for gapping the points. You can save this gage for future use and it is stamped .015" so you know. Dennis Carpenter and JUST8Ns sell the TISCO kit. Any other suppliers, ebay, TSC, or Western Auto, and you are probably going to get junk. My local independant tractor distributor (pun intended) stocks the Blue Streak points. If you don't have one, check with NAPA first. If they don't stock the Blue Streak (Standard Ignition) FD-6769X points, run away. I see some Blue Streak sets on ebay from various sellers but their prices range from $16, which is what you should be paying no matter which brand you use, up to $60 so it matters where you buy from.

Standard Ignition/Blue Streak also sells the Condenser, p/n FD-71, and the NAPA p/n is FA-200. The Standard Ignition/Blue Streak p/n for the cap is p/n FD-126 and the NAPA p/n is FA-350. NAPA cam lube p/n is CL1. Don't forget the distributor gasket kit as well.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]