Rebuilding Front Mount Distributor 8N - Point Sets

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kimberly on August 29, 2021 at 11:23:28 [URL] [DELETE] :

I am in the process of rebuilding my front mount 8N distributor. I ordered new bushings from Just 8Ns and have installed them. I have tried two different point sets; from two different vendors, of the Blue Streak points. The points were ordered from fleabay. The problem I am seeing with the Blue Streak points is that with the points fully closed they are showing open when testing with my digital ohmmeter. I sent the first set back and ordered another set and after installing the points, they tested open as well even when fully closed. With the second set I used a high power lens to examine the points and I could see a gap; the point faces were not properly aligned. I thought that maybe it was the breaker plate so I installed the old points back in the distributor and tested with my ohmmeter with the result that the meter showed the points making contact.

Has the quality of the Blue Streak points fallen to where they are now junk? Or is it that perhaps the points on fleabay are counterfeit and not really Blue Steak? Both sets of points came in a red box with STANDARD at the top with BLUE STREAK beneath with the blue S.

Has anyone else seen any issues with Blue Streak points? I read a post that Tim Daley made in 2020 stating that the Echlin points are now junk. Has the same happened with Blue Streak? Tim mentioned CNH points but there are no longer any CNH dealers in my area and searching the net turned up nothing. If Blue Streak and Echlin are now out as the points to use, what is the recommendation for points?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ N Board Forum ] [ FAQ ]