Lathe project done and ready for work

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tools Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Farmer Dan on March 25, 2017 at 11:30:33 [URL] [DELETE] :

A good paint job is way to much work with no improvement in performance so I didn't bother with it. And I don't know what the original color should be. Sure does run smooth and all my cuts are within my goal of .0005".

It came with a 3" 3 jaw scroll chuck that was a real bear to adjust. I took it apart cleaned it put the jaws back in the correct position and now it works freely and spins true.
 photo 3inch 3 jaw chuck_zpsxzdnqwln.jpg

Next I found an adapter to change from 1 1/2"x 8tpi to 1" x 10 tpi. Machined a new back plate and now I have a 5" three jaw scroll chuck for larger work. I have two sets of jaws for inside and outside holding so much more variety.
 photo 5inch 3 jaw chuck_zpsxkmlp8pf.jpg

Then I machined another back plate this one for a 4" E32 collet chuck. I use this to hold the end mills when I use the milling attachment.
 photo Mill Attachment and collet chuck 4_zpsrkjx5jme.jpg

IT's been a fun little project cleaning and repairing this vintage machine. I made the #14 spanner I was missing as my first project with it. Turned a few pistons into parts dishes. Feels funny working with the mill since you have 3 axis' to worry about now not just X and Y. FUN!!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tools Forum ] [ FAQ ]