Re: Minimum wage

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Politics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on February 28, 2021 at 09:00:42 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Minimum wage posted by Joe in Texas on February 27, 2021 at 16:37:42:

As Rush and others stated many times, minimum wage was not intended to be made into a life-long career like socialibs think today. I worked all my life. Shoveling snow and mowing grass in the neighborhood as a youngster. At 13 I was a newspaper boy til I was 15 and I earned about $10 weekly and then only if people paid on time. I then began to caddy at 15, earning $4 per 'loop' which took about 4 hours to play 18 holes. Tips were extra and usually only 25₵ or 50₵ if you were lucky. Doubles were extra but if you worked two loops a day, that made for a long day for a 15-year old. Then I'd have to hitchhike or walk 5 miles home. When I turned 16 I got a part time job after school at a car wash earning $1.65 per hour as that was the minimum wage then. When I turned 17 that summer I got a job in a small job-shop factory, on the midnight shift, earning $3.25 per hour. It was grinding cast iron parts for Chrysler. It was hot, and so combined with the sweat an cast iron dust you'd be orange by the end of the shift. Today, you can't get a millennial to shovel snow or mow grass at his/parents' own house let alone go around the neighborhood to earn some fast cash. Many now depend on mommy & daddy and the government to support them. Note they ALL have cell phones and cigarettes. Some even have mom & dad buy their pot and beer too. I'm not sure if some of them even know which end of a snow shovel to use.

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Politics Forum ] [ FAQ ]