Minimum wage

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Politics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe in Texas on February 27, 2021 at 16:37:42 [URL] [DELETE] :

I'm calling this post about the minimum wage. At least, I think it's involved somehow.

One of the Walmart stores here in Lubbock, Texas (there are five I think) has redone their front end. You are all probably familiar with the self checkout areas showing up in Walmart and other stores. This last week this Walmart added more self checkout registers. I didn't count, but 2/3rd's of the checkouts are now self serve in that store. And, the remaining 6 or 8 were mostly empty of workers.

Is this Walmart's answer to a minimum wage hike? I would bet it is. Two people were kinda roaming around making sure everyone was doing whatever they should be doing, checking out their own groceries, etc.

I have mixed feelings about participating in this. The one full service grocery chain here seems to be doing OK from the outside looking in. I shop there as well, knowing the prices are not exactly competitive on the things I buy. I also know that there are very few, if any, of their workers make minimum wage. I think they start everyone above that.

I know that Walmart does everything to make a buck, but I wonder if the added security, cameras and personnel, are worth the difference, given that it's known that cheating is pretty rampant in these areas.

Just thinking out loud.........

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Politics Forum ] [ FAQ ]