Re: Know These Names?l differently

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Politics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by steve on July 23, 2020 at 19:15:05 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Know These Names?l differently posted by TheOldHokie on July 23, 2020 at 16:38:33:

yes. no one in this day and time dares to defend slavery and rightfully so.
much like this discussion the civil war was a result of a conflict between sides who allowed the discussion to escalate to war over a difference of ideals over federal rights over states rights over personal rights; slavery being one of the primary issues and federal control and spending being another. The Virginians did not invent the practice of slavery and RE Lee never bought a slave and he freed the few slaves that he inherited in 1862. You can show me ten articles that support your position and I can show you ten articles that support the opposite position. Either way it is my hope that we do not repeat the history of not getting past this discussion and resorting to another war. I bet you that more then half of the people out there defacing these old statues did not even know they were there 6 months ago. And spending millions of dollars removing and or destroying them will not improve the discussion, it just makes a lot of people mad. Much like Charlottsville, I do not believe that loosing another single life is worth the misunderstanding. And yes I do not believe that the opposite sides on this issue understand each other. I personally do not think that we should demonize each other and allow a bunch of radicals to fan the flames that may escalate to another loss of life. We need to tone it down and not demean one another's heritage or history.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Politics Forum ] [ FAQ ]