Dems just don't get it

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Politics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John in Mich on October 19, 2019 at 10:48:43 [URL] [DELETE] :

I wrote an email to US Rep. Debbie Dingle about 2 weeks ago and got a response yesterday. I purposely did not copy her signature to this but I have the original.
Her words:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the current investigation into President Trump's actions and the discussion of impeachment. Your thoughts are important.

Impeachment is a matter of the highest importance and the Congress must address it with the utmost care, concern, seriousness, and diligence. It is an action by the Congress that should only be used in the gravest and most serious circumstances. I have consistently warned of foreign entities' continued efforts to divide our country and I have tried to ensure that Congress avoid further contributing to that division. My biggest responsibility as an elected official is to protect our national security and the Constitution, and in light of recent developments, I am supportive of an investigation that follows the facts. We must use all Congressional authorities to follow the facts and uncover the truth.

Through a whistleblower complaint to the Intelligence Community Inspector General, Congress learned of a phone call between President Trump and the Ukrainian President that concerned members of the Intelligence Community. The Inspector General of the Intelligence Community, who was appointed by President Trump, called the complaint credible, an urgent concern, and a danger to our national security. The Inspector General of the Intelligence Community determined that this whistleblower report represented a real threat to our national security, and it is the duty of Congress to understand the perceived threat and to address the issues. The Acting Director of National Intelligence's refusal to comply with the mandated practice of immediately providing this information is unprecedented, represents a dangerous breach protocol and raises numerous questions regarding the President's conduct. The release of the whistleblower's complaint and the President's transcript of the phone reveal deeply concerning information regarding the President's use of his position to persuade a foreign power to investigate a political rival. We still do not have all of the facts of what else was discussed or occurred. It is critical that we ensure the safety and security of our elections, and we must understand all of the facts. We do not know all the details of these communications, so it is essential that Congress ensure we have all the information surrounding these events. No one is above the rule of the law, and we must protect that.

As an impeachment inquiry moves forward, it is critical that Congress continues to work towards bipartisan solutions for the American people on many issues. We have a responsibility to lower drug prices for Americans and get a trade deal that's going to help hardworking men and women. The House of Representatives has passed several pieces of bipartisan legislation work toward commonsense solutions to these issues:

The House of Representatives passed a bipartisan legislative package to increase the availability of generic low-cost prescription drugs, reinforce protections for people with pre-existing conditions, and help states set up state-based marketplaces that outperform the Federal marketplace on May 16, 2019. On June 19, 2019 the House passed the Empowering Beneficiaries, Ensuring Access and Strengthening Accountability Act of 2019, bipartisan legislation extending critical programs within Medicaid to make it easier for seniors and the disabled to receive critical care in their preferred setting without facing bankruptcy or significant financial hardship.

The House of Representatives has acted to curb abusive robocall practices. On July 24, 2019, the House passed the Stopping Bad Robocalls Act, a bipartisan bill to protect Americans from scam or predatory phone calls by requiring the Federal Communications Commission to authenticate caller-ID information and allowing the reasonable blocking of calls to prevent harassment from robocalls. Included in this bill is the Protecting Patients and Doctors from Unlawful Robocalls Act that I introduced, which helps hospitals and patients combat the constant waves of unlawful robocalls that inundate patients' cell phones and hospital phone lines.

The House has also acted to address the PFAS epidemic, including passing three amendments I introduced to combat PFAS contamination in the National Defense Authorization Act. These amendments designate PFAS as a hazardous substance for the purpose of clean up under the EPA's Superfund Program, bans the use of PFAS in materials used to produce MRE's for our service men and women, and require military installations to cooperate with states as PFAS contamination is detected in communities near these facilities.

Regarding our trade agreements, my primary focus is bringing jobs to the United States and having a deal that puts the needs of working people and their communities first, creates jobs, and keeps products affordable. NAFTA is hurting workers in Michigan and across the country. Americans have endured 25 years of its damage; we need to get its replacement right. Things will only begin to improve when we have a deal that puts the needs of working people and their communities first. We must put American workers on an even playing field with foreign competition and discourage companies from outsourcing jobs to other countries where they can pay employees less and dump toxins. The president must decide whether he'll work with Congress to improve the 2.0 version or keep pushing a flawed agreement that won't adequately address the country's problems. Many Democrats - who deeply care about making good trade deals and fixing bad ones - are prepared to work with him. China's unfair trade policies must also be addressed, the president is right about that. However, an erratic trade policy does not resolve these issues. We need leadership from the White House with a coherent strategy that maximizes U.S. leverage behind the right set of demands.

I will continue to act in my full capacity to address the issues facing the people of Michigan. It is our duty to defend the constitution and also work to ensure the safety, security, and prosperity of the American people. Your perspective is helpful as Congress considers bipartisan solutions to achieve these goals.

Again, thank you for contacting my office. If you are interested in regular updates on current legislation or issues of the day, you can visit my website at https://debbiedingell.house.gov and sign up for my newsletter. You can also find me on Twitter at @RepDebDingell and on Facebook. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future on interests of concern.

Sincerely,

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Politics Forum ] [ FAQ ]