Re: Liberal Awakening -Electric Car Spoof

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Politics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by steveVa on February 26, 2019 at 23:08:15 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Liberal Awakening -Electric Car Spoof posted by Tim Daley(MI) on February 26, 2019 at 18:23:41:

The thing that always gets me about electric cars is that everyone seems to think that they are free to buy and free to charge. Electricity costs 12 cents per kilowatt hour here and that gets you 1000 watts for one hour. It takes 750 watts to generate 1 hp. So 100 hp would need 75000 watts or 75 kwh. 75 x 12 cents is $9 per hour to run at 75000 watts.
That is about equal to 3 gallons of gas per hour in cost to run the electric motor.
A van getting 25 mpg would go 75 miles on 3 gallons of gas and has a range of at least 400 miles.
So I don't see the great advantage of an electric car that will barely haul 2 people and also costs twice as much to buy and has a range of only 150 miles.
Also, a lot of the lithium battery "cells", are really a bunch of AA size batteries bundled together in series to get 12 or 24 volts and then bundeled in parallel to get a bunch of amps. That is why they will burn and start a chain reaction melting down once they overheat.
Then there is initial cost. You will pay about $10,000 more for a Nisson Leaf then for a Chrysler Town and Country. I can buy a lot af gas for $10k.
10,000 / $2.5 for a gallon = 4000 gallons I can buy. 4000 x 25mpg = 100,000 miles.
You can drive a Town and country 10,000 miles a year for 10 years for the extra cost to produce a Nisson Leaf.
So how does this save the environment??
If a Nisson Leaf costs $10,000 more to produce up front, then the way I see it is that is using $10,000 more in resources to produce. A lot of thise resources may just be fossil fuels.
So to me the hype is all slight of hand that just costs more for the consumer.
We need to come up with a gog equivilent. Cost of anything should be equated to the cost of a gollon of gas. gog.
So if you have to pay 10k more for an electric car then it has to save 4000 gog in its first 5 years to make it environmentally friendly.
I often wonder if you could take all the costs involved in producing "green" products, that many of them consume more fossil fuels then their simple non green counterparts.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Politics Forum ] [ FAQ ]