Re: Hard Workin' Folks

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Politics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John in Mich on December 13, 2018 at 11:35:46 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Hard Workin' Folks posted by Paul on December 13, 2018 at 10:36:13:

The thought is good. Unfortunatly, our government, republican or democrat controlled, can't run anything efficiently. Bureaucracy is like an uncontrolled fungus.
I grew up with my parents having BCBS paid by Ford Motor Company. Medical benefits were part of the negotiated contracts with the United Automobile Workers (UAW). It handled several expensive hospitalizations for us in the 50's and 60's.
As a salried employee at Ford and later at GM, I (my family) had medical insurance paid by my employers. Again, several serious hospitalizations were 100% covered. Both Ford and GM acknowledged that our salaries were adversely affected by the premiums. Meaning, that in the market for comparable jobs our base salaires were lower because of the benefits.
Insurance rates per capita were lower for groups than for an employee paying individually/family. Though we were salaried, I never forgot how unions helped us. But, we dared not say the word union in front of management, although there had been some whispers toward the end of my career.
Unfortunately, I believe that unions, in resent years, have hurt too many employees that they represent and to put them in charge of auto-worker health insurance (VEBA) is, in my opinion, a disaster waiting to happen. Another story waiting to be written.
All the above is my opinion. No amount of arguement/discussion will change it.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Politics Forum ] [ FAQ ]