Re: Hard Workin' Folks

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Politics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John in MIch on December 12, 2018 at 19:55:11 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Hard Workin' Folks posted by Vito on December 12, 2018 at 19:14:36:

Yup. Promise them everything so they get votes for a plush government job with GREAT medical benefits that you and I don't have.
Medicare was established in 1966, the year we got married. Just what young people needed taken from payroll when expecting a family.
My wife and I have both paid into SS since we were each 17, and Medicare since 1966. Having been promised health insurance for life by GM with the caveat that they could change it at their discretion. Well, age 65 came and so did Medicare (remember we have paid premiums for all this time). AND, there is still a deduction from SS for Medicare. To protect ourselves, we have also bought supplemental health insurance and dental insurance. Hearing aids and eye glasses we pay out of pocket.
More than 20% of our gross monthly income goes to health insurance and the aids that we need.
Fast forward to our mid-70's (and it was fast!). The Progressives want to GIVE all the social benefits to people who have paid little or no premiums into the social programs. As a result, my benefits begin to diminsih.
Simple calculations: we have each paid SS for 58 to 60 years. We have paid Medicare premiums for 42 years.
I was, and am, a proponant of a required savings acount (not a tax) that could only be released to the payer as a monthly income starting at age 65 and is also owned by the right of a survivor/estate.
Yup, kinda naive, then and now.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Politics Forum ] [ FAQ ]