PROACTIVE STEPS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Politics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on April 12, 2018 at 08:07:32 [URL] [DELETE] :

Here in my Michigan County of residence, after a few meetings between parents, teachers, school admins, and law enforcement agencies following the Parkland, Florida shootings, it was voted on by the school board and accepted to hire a private security firm to man certain schools. Beginning today, properly trained armed officers will stand guard at several schools. The budget wonít justify it manning every school, but the high schools and middle schools will be manned for now.

My daughter is a high school senior. A few weeks ago when the nation held their sit-in/strike/walkout in protest of the NRA, her high school opted to allow students who did not wish to participate a place to congregate during the walkout. The school at first selected the library for those students to meet in. The result was that the amount of students who walked out were about evenly split with the ones who didnít want to participate. This resulted in the school moving the area to the school gym which held more. We are a rural community and many families and students farm and are hunters. My daughter was one who didnít walk out. She, like many of her classmates, doesnít hunt, knows I do, and knows something has to be done to protect our schools but banning guns isnít the solution. She told me many of the ones who Ďprotestedí only did it because it was a freebie day of not having to go to class. The front page of the weekly paper had a photo of students walking out the main entrance of the main county high school and most were smiling and laughing like it was field trip. This is a proactive step to protecting our schools. Training and arming teachers and administrators would be another, but Iím not sure I would want to see some teachers armed.

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Politics Forum ] [ FAQ ]