Re: An injection of common sense on pre-existing conditions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Politics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ed Gooding (VA) on May 18, 2017 at 09:05:10 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: An injection of common sense on pre-existing conditions posted by Bruce Dorsi on May 06, 2017 at 10:32:56:

>> What about the people with an illness such as MS, or MD ? ...How about people who have had a heart attack in the past or required heart surgery/valve replacement/stent ?? ...What about people who are cancer survivors? ...Should they all be banned from coverage due to pre-existing conditions? <<

I certainly don't think people with pre-existing conditions should be banned, but I do believe they should be charged more for insurance premiums. To Dean's point, insurance is about predicting and managing risk of an event. The risks are spread by pooling premiums from subscribers. Folks who have MS, MD, cancer, pick-one have already had their risk event take place, so when they sign on, they are immediately taking benefits for which they have paid no premiums. So in essence, they are asking for free healthcare, NOT health insurance. Those two things are getting muddied in this debate taking place right now.

Any of you remember "assigned risk" car insurance policies for new drivers, or drivers with bad driving records? My understanding of assigned risk is that regulators force insurance companies to pool their coverage to cover high-risk drivers. I'm wondering why that approach could not be applied to health insurance? Why put it on taxpayers? If the insurance companies are so profitable, then let them allocate a portion of those profits to those who need healthcare, i.e. immediate benefits before paying into the system vs. health insurance? As people with pre-existing conditions contribute premiums and fund their own risks, then premiums could decline.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Politics Forum ] [ FAQ ]