Re: An injection of common sense on pre-existing conditions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Politics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bruce Dorsi on May 06, 2017 at 10:32:56 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: An injection of common sense on pre-existing conditions posted by Ed Gooding (VA) on May 06, 2017 at 09:30:48:

Perhaps I misunderstood some of what is written in the article, but I think there is an area of legitimate concern regarding pre-existing conditions.

In 1989, I had spinal surgery for a herniated disc. ...Blue Cross paid approx. 45% of the total cost, the rest was out-of-pocket. ...Surgery was a success, with no further issues.

When changing insurance companies, I was told everything but my back was insured, since that was a pre-existing condition. ...Had I been covered by an employer's plan, the insurance company would have insured by entire body, but since I was on an individual plan, they could deny coverage for my back.

During Bill Clinton's term, a mandate was issued that insurance companies could not deny pre-existing conditions, so coverage for my back was reinstated.

I do not equate buying house insurance after the house burns down, with the situation above. ...If I build a new house, should I be denied new coverage?

What about the people with an illness such as MS, or MD ? ...How about people who have had a heart attack in the past or required heart surgery/valve replacement/stent ?? ...What about people who are cancer survivors? ...Should they all be banned from coverage due to pre-existing conditions?

Insurance companies have actuaries to calculate risks and assess premiums. ...They should not be allowed to discriminate against some insureds, and only insure those who are profitable to them.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Politics Forum ] [ FAQ ]