Re: Hudson Longer answer

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by steveVa on February 22, 2021 at 23:40:13 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Hudson posted by Burt on February 18, 2021 at 07:32:48:

Hi Burt,
How are things up north??

I often wonder about the true cost of electric cars, ethanol gas, and solar collectors.
It generally comes down to me doing some math and wondering if it is worth all the trouble.
My uncle is a dairy farmer who loves to say "I started farming with next to nothing and still have some of it left". He also says that corn is good for food and that it only takes a gallon of gas to make a half a gallon of ethanol.
I drove a 1963 MGB for several years and averaged around 25 miles per gallon of gas. When I got a real job I bought a newer 1977 MGB and it had much less power and only got 20 miles per gallon of gas because of the smog control requirements of a smog pump and single carburetor to reduce the emissions and make it cleaner. So my question was and is, how can the 77 MGB burn more gas per mile and pollute less?
That is when I learned the engineering term, "the solution to pollution is dilution".
The smog pump on the 77B just pumped more air into the exhaust in order to reduce the co2 output. It injected more air to reduce the percent of output pollution. So it actually pollutes more air to meet pollution standards. And burns more gas in the process.
I wonder about electric cars in the same manner. The newer nicer electric cars like Tesla cost around $40,000 more then a similar sized gas powered vehicle. I paid $21,000 for an almost new Town and Country that gets 30 MPG on the highway. A new Tesla costs around $62,000. So a difference of $40,000 +-. So take that $40k and divide it by $3 a gallon for gas. Thats 13,333.333 gallons of gas you could buy for the difference in cost. 13,333.333 X 30 MPG = 400,000 miles. So I can drive about 400,000 miles on the cost difference of the 2 vehicles. So which one saves energy?
Which one saves money?? Which one saves the environment??
What we really need to know is which one costs more energy to build. If a Tesla costs $40,000 more to build, what is that cost? Do they burn more petroleum to build the Tesla? Will it ever recoup 13,333.333 gallons of gas??
Good question...
If they burn 10,000 more gallons of gas to build a Tesla I can hardly see how it is worth it.
I could go on and on, but I will save more for later if anyone is interested.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]