Re: Restoration/mechanical questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Nicholas on November 21, 2020 at 18:55:29 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Restoration/mechanical questions posted by John in Mich on November 21, 2020 at 17:02:25:

Thank you very much John in Mich. for your quick and informative reply. My tractor is 1950 vintage and presently at the New Holland dealer where I purchased if from. I should be taking delivery in about 10 days or so.
I will take what you said about the calcium question under advisement. My biggest concern was what I read on line about the calcium leaking and internally rusting and destroying the inner wheel. I saw some very nasty pics of what it did especially around the air/tube valve. That's why I questioned its existence for my intended purpose. I certainly want the tractor to stop properly, so I'll have to reconsider this issue. I previously examined both tires and saw no indication of rust. As for wheel type, I don't have a clue. The tractor is in the shop and I thought that I took a copious amount of pics, which I did, but none of the wheels. Very disappointing. So, I'll have to wait until I see it again to identify the type of wheel. As for the temperature gauge, sometimes I have a tendency to go overboard with things and I thought that a temperature gauge would be a nice feature to have. I keep forgetting that some engineers, much smarter then myself I'm sure, designed this tractor and cooling system. If they thought it necessary to have a temperature gauge, they would have incorporated it into the dash. So, for time being, this will be a moot point. I don't plan on going any long distances with it, so it something does happen, I won't be too far from home.
I'm really looking forward to doing a reasonable restoration on this tractor. I'm told that it did run well and the drive train is very good. The sheet metal is in decent shape with no major dents or bangs. Has a fair amount of surface rust on the hood, but doesn't come through. Probably will have it sand blasted along with the fenders that are in nice shape. Should also mention that it was converted to 12V. Thank you again, Nicholas.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]