Re: Restoration/mechanical questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John in Mich on November 21, 2020 at 17:02:25 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Restoration/mechanical questions posted by Nicholas on November 21, 2020 at 13:18:39:

Congratulations on your purchase. Your 8N questions are related to all 8Ns but it always helps for future discussions to tell us what year it is. Early 8Ns have a front mount distributor, mid-50s and later are a side mount distributor.
8Ns did not have a temperature gauge. I have 8Ns and 9Ns. None have temperature gauges. My '51 I have been driving for 67 years. Did it ever overhear? YES, when I failed to keep the field debris cleaned off the grill. A temp gauge could be installed but why mess with success.
Are your wheels the orignial "hat style" rims or the aftermarked 6 loop rims? This refers to where the center dish is bolted to the rims. Original rims (hat style) are an enclosed channel all the way around the rim. The loop rims are exactly what it sounds like. Each bolt is through a loop welded to the rim.
I'm not aware of any precut masking for painting wheels so tape and paper.
Grandkids are great and hayrides are fun! We had hay rides for over 40 years with our kids and later with grandkids. The last one the we hosted we had about 80 people and used 2 tractors, each with a wagon and had to "take turns" riding. I miss them, but I just don't feel secure doing it anymore.
As for your loaded tires: I would keep them loaded if you are pulling hayrides. Why?
Stopping traction. A loaded wagon can push an 8N. You need to be able to stop.
And that brings me to brakes. Make sure that they are in great condition and both can be used at the same time. Locking one wheel can cause you to jackknife.
I have some suggestions for your wagon so I will stop here and leave you my e-mail address above. Put hayride in the subject so that I know that it is not junk mail.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]