Restoration/mechanical questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Nicholas on November 21, 2020 at 13:18:39 [URL] [DELETE] :

Hi everyone. I'm new here and not sure I did this correctly. I grew up in the farmlands of the country and always liked old tractors and machinery. I particularly like the Ford 8N. I've been researching them for a while and found one local to me. I agreed to the purchase price and the owner is going to get it running nicely for me and even deliver it. I am very excited about this prospect. My intention is to reasonably restore this tractor and pull a small hay wagon behind it. I've been blessed with many grandchildren and want to take them on many hayrides. I plan on the restoration process over the winter. I always try to find the answers to my questions first, before bothering anyone, but wasn't real successful. Therefore, I would like to ask here if it's ok.
1-I do believe there is calcium in the tires. I don't need any weight for traction. Is it advisable to remove it?? I don't think any leaking has occurred yet, but I would like it removed.
2-I notice there is no temperature gauge. To me that is as important as the the oil pressure gauge and more important them the amp. gauge. Has anyone ever installed a temp. gauge on their 8N?? I know you can buy them.
3-Part of the restoration process is to paint the wheels. They would be spray painted. I don't want to take the tires off for this process. Is there a stencil or kit available to tape off the tires, or do you just tape everything off with masking tape and newspaper??
I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on. Thank you for allowing me to post here, Nicholas. Before I forget, in what sections will I find an answers??

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]