Re: Who's On Medicare?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe in Texas on November 07, 2020 at 19:30:34 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Who's On Medicare? posted by Steve Dabrowski on November 07, 2020 at 16:55:52:

I know I already replied about my situation, but after reading other answers and thinking about what was said there, I thought I could add a little bit.

My wife is six years younger than I am. She turned 65 this year. We live in Texas so here teacher retirement puts a damper on how much SS and other benefits are available. Other states may be the same, but I only have experience here.

One of the things I want to say is that Humana in Texas is a big mistake. My doctors don't want to deal with it, saying they never get paid, etc. My wife's retirement policy was different from mine. I have used her insurance as mine down through the years. After she retired, and I was already established with Aetna through her retirement for my supplemental, everything changed. The dependents all went to Humana. The premium went from $30 a month to over $600 per month for the same coverage. And this was only for the 20% Medicare didn't cover. Of course, I had to drop out and find my own supplemental. In addition to that, what was free to her became $225 a month out of her retirement check each month.

So, we backed completely out of the teacher retirement health coverage when she turned 65. Now it's basic Medicare for each of us, and the same Oxford Life for the supplemental. My insurance man, an independent, says we need to renegotiate the supplemental policies at the very least every five years. I don't exactly understand all the reasons, but basically it involves premiums going up as your age rises. Loyalty means nothing in those cases.

Bottom line: We are both on Medicare, with a supplemental policy that costs about $130 for me and $104 for her. Same coverage, and both have a $200 deductible per year. No copays for normal doctor visits and procedures. There are three major hospitals in Lubbock, along with several specialty outfits. As one of you said, Medicare is the best thing around, considering the reduced pay for procedures and the required acceptance from anyone receiving government benefits. (I think I said that backwards, but I'm leaving it anyway)

I had not priced any of the so called advantage plans, but I know for a fact that NOTHING is free. Just not the way the world works.

Our only issue right now is dental. We both need extensive repairs, or dentures. No way around the costs on that kind of stuff. Pay up front or behind.

Thanks for listening....

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]