Re: Who's On Medicare?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dabrowski on November 07, 2020 at 16:55:52 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Who's On Medicare? posted by Tim Daley(MI) on November 03, 2020 at 07:52:04:

Hi Tim,

I have been on Medicare for ten years now and believe it is the best option in the world period. As for the plans, you can elect to go with original Medicare which is just paying the $100+ per month and having your Medicare card as your ID. This is accepted in all major medical school health care institutions (I use this and have my doctor at Stanford University and it costs very little). This is good if you do not need a whole lot of care. The other option is Medicare Advantage plans, these run around $400/month, but give greater coverage in some ways if you have a lot of health care activity and they cover drugs which you have to add to Original Medicare coverage. This might be best for you. Also I am fortunate in that I am able to cover the basic 20% copay with Original Medicare on my own. That is not required with the Medicare Advantage plans. My wife has Stanford Heath Care Advantage and it works fine but costs more than mine since I only pay for individual visits and I do not have very many in the year.
Remember all institutions that recieve Federal funds like Universities have to accept Medicare patients and these are the best places anyway. Most Health care institutions accept Medicare patients as well, it is mostly the small offices that tend to push them away because of paperwork and low payments.

Also the 20% copay responsibility is only for the amount of the reduced amounts contracted by Medicare rather than the institution's normal fees so it is not too much. I usually have to pay about $25 for a visit to one of the highest rated heart doctors in the U.S., Stanford's bill for my heart surgery and attendant testing etc.,was well over a million dollars, my out of pocket was probably no more than $10K with original Medicare which, admittedly is more than filling up my Grand Cherokee, is not very much considering what went into it.

Also for that supplemental insurance is available, but of course that adds to the cost.

Best to consider what you need realistically from your experience-I'd guess a Medicare Advantage would be best for you and would not require added drug and supplemental coverage. Also consider the best University Health care system you can reasonably go to-I think that would result in the best care you can get.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]