Re: whole home Solar

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by steveVa on October 02, 2020 at 20:04:43 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: whole home Solar posted by Bob Kuba(TX) on October 02, 2020 at 11:56:56:

I would look what you have spent per year for the last 3 years and make an average.
If you spend $300 per month, that is the most you can save which is $3600 per year less your monthly connection fee.(the cost of having electrical service per month/year). If that is $100 per month then you really can only save $200 per month or $2400 per year. If you spend $30,000 to install solar, divided by $2400 you get 12.5 years to pay back. You would also have a cost of 3% interest on $30,000 that you spent and do not get. You also need to consider the cost of maintenance and or any breakdowns.
I have not been able to find a system that has less then a 10 year payback in actuality.
I designed and installed a system that runs lights and TV's and computers, basically everything other then the refrigerators, water heater, and furnace. It works well, but still needs backup if it is cloudy for three days in a row. I am currently expanding the system to run a heat pump so I can heat and cool the first floor of our house.
The hardest part is backup power and the cost of having to stay connected to the grid. Also, the batteries are more expensive every year.
The Tesla Powerwall looks like the best system I have seen.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]