Re: Dams

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John in Mich on May 21, 2020 at 05:42:19 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Dams posted by Jack - Iowa on May 20, 2020 at 21:29:20:

No, fortunately. We are 120 miles SE of the area.
I feel bad for those who are affected. Totally unnecssary. In keeping with the blame game, I blame Gestapo Gretchen for not being prepared.
My son has property near there. One access road to his property has washed out. He went up yesterday and took my generator with him. He has some pictures of nearby propeties flooded and flooded electrical distribution panels.
My sister in Texas called, yesterday, to see if we were affected. Our house is on some of the highest ground in the immediate area and I have a full walkout basement that I could burm with a plow. I tell folks if the water gets that high, our house would be on a small island.
When we built in 1985, my builder asked me how deep I wanted my basement. I told him I wanted the basement floor 12" higher than the ground we were standing on.
He asked, "why so high"?
I said that I grew up in a swamp and flooded basements every year.
When the garage floor was poured, it was chest high to me when standing on the original grade. 8 steps up from the garage to get to the livingroom.
Great decision then, not so much now at our age, but we will manage.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]