Re: do a ring job on 1950 8N

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on August 05, 2019 at 13:00:01 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: do a ring job on 1950 8N posted by frank clinage on August 05, 2019 at 11:00:53:

HiYa Frank and welcome aboard! First, Gibbs Rule #6 -Never apologize; it's a sign of weakness. Seriously though no need to say your sorry as we were all newbies at one time ourselves. I commend you for wanting to tackle the job yourself but I'd advise against listening to fellas who may mean well but like to cut corners from their shade tree mechanic experience. First order of business is to invest in the essential manuals to help better your understanding of the Ford N's. The I&T FO4 Manual, the Original 8N Operator Manual, and the 39-53 Master Parts Catalog are worth their weight in gold for servicing your N. You can get copies of all those at www.just8ns.com My mantra is the Dr. Demming approach -"DO THE JOB RIGHT THE FIRST TIME". Next is you need to determine if the smoke is from water or oil or both. White indicates water, black indicates oil. Start the engine cold and note what the oil pressure reading is. It is normal around 27 PSI. Run it good and hot for at least a half hour, the longer the better. Once hot check the oil level at idle and see where the pressure is now. 10-20 PSI is OK, showing some wear, but not bad. If oil drops below 10 PSI or worse below 5 PSI you need a major engine overhaul. The we can discuss where to go from there.

FORD 8N ESSENTIAL PARTS & SERVICE MANUALS:

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]