Just something to look at...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ultradog MN on July 10, 2019 at 07:23:05 [URL] [DELETE] :

This is a 201ci 3 cylinder engine that was used on an irrigation pump that I bought for parts.
These were used on 4610 tractors in the mid 80s. They will fit many 4000/4600 and derivatives.
I knew there was a problem with it as it had been opened before me but didn't know what was wrong with it.
When I opened it yesterday I found this.
Looks like someone dropped about a 7/16" nut down the intake manifold and it got sucked into #2 cylinder.
There is zero wear in the bores and none on the piston skirts.
I had hoped to reuse them in an engine I'm building but that wont happen now. These are what are called Headland pistons. The top of the piston and upper ring are different than an ordinary piston/ring. They gave a few horsepower bump to the same bore/stroke over a standard diesel piston.
Not sure if they are even available anymore but the last price I could find they were about $250 apiece. New Holland recommends replacing them with standard.
Anyway, somebody must have gotten careless and left the air intake on the manifold open while they did some maintenance or something. It bumped the head too but will have that magnifluxed if I use it.
I'll still get an engine built as I have other parts and pieces. But it's a shame to see this happen on on what was a low houred machine.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]