Re: Memorial Day

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dabrowski on May 29, 2019 at 14:00:42 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Memorial Day posted by Ed Gooding (VA) on May 28, 2019 at 18:57:28:

Well Ed after reading your post I decided to see if I could find anything on him. Using my well trained research skills, honed to a fine point with years of academic study for advanced degrees, I began my search by typing "Deet Eichel Volkswagen" into the Safari Browser of my wife Macbook Pro.

Surprisingly there was several articles on his VW dealership. But about a third of the way down the page was a site named Luftwaffe Aces: Diethelm von Eichel-Streiber. Turns out he definitely had bragging rights-96 victories (8 less than Adolf Galland) The vast majority from 1942-1944 over the Eastern Front against Russian aircraft, but included several P-39's and his last victory was a USAAF P47 over the Aachen area on November 28, 1944. His first was a RAF Hurricane over Crete in May of 1941.

He was born in 1914, flew a bomber as part of the Condor Legion during the Spanish Civil War, and then flew a variety of fighter aircraft including the FW190 and the Me262 jet fighter near the end of the war. He was awarded the Knights Cross of the Iron Cross in 1944. He spent the last weeks of the war recuperating from the shock of the loss of many family members the bombing attack on Dresden and the death sentence of his uncle who was implicated in the conspiracy to kill Hitler on 20 July 1944.

The last paragraph of his record said that Von Eichel-Streiber survived the war and emigrated to the USA where he became a successful Volkswagen distributor in Modesto, California.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]