Re: Memorial Day

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on May 28, 2019 at 16:11:38 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Memorial Day posted by Steve Dabrowski on May 28, 2019 at 13:44:44:

I have numerous books in my library of WWII on technical facts and figures. There are also "Stalag 17" and "Bridge Over The River Kwai" to add to my favorite WWII movies. "Hogan's Heroes" was loosely based on Stalag 17 but it was a comedy. Nobody ever was shot in any episodes or shown being killed. Just like on "Bonanza" nobody ever had bullets in the gun belts. Anyway, one of the 3 maybe 4, TV shows I watch is "NCIS", the original, with "NCIS:NOLA" a second, and "SEAL TEAM" third. (IMHO NCIS LA sucks). In the original series, Season 13, main character Leroy Jethro Gibbs, (Mark Harmon) gets a call from his father, Jackson Gibbs (Ralph Waite) saying he got a letter from an old Air Force pilot friend, Walter Beck (Tom Fitzpatrick), who is dying and wants to see him. A search turns up nobody in his crew named Walter Beck so Leroy Jethro thinks his dad is having dementia issues. Later his dad reveals Walter was not from his crew rather he was a German Luftwaffe pilot who saved Jackson's life when his plane got shot up and turned around so Walter made sure he guided Jackson in the right direction to safely make it to an allied base. The two pilots salute each other before Walter quickly turns around and hightails it back out of enemy territory. Jackson tells Leroy Jethro he wanted him to meet Walter because if it wasn't was for that gesture, he never would have made it and thus there would never be a Leroy Jethro born. The episode supposedly was written based a few similar true stories from both sides of the war. It is one of my favorite NCIS episodes. It was the last TV appearance ralph made as he died shortly after that aired.

Tim

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]