Re: Cube Root

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on January 13, 2019 at 07:25:19 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Cube Root posted by Paul in MA on January 11, 2019 at 17:26:49:

I could do trig in my head, still can do some things. As a CNC Programmer/Engineer, writing programs was second nature to me. Many times via MDI right at the machine. G-Code programs were always written in absolute values, no ATNRC. Angles not only had to be trigged out, then using tool nose radius compensation values, had to be calculated in as well. Ditto for generating arcs and partial arcs. The latter was the hardest to do and always involved pencil and paper; I learned long before IBM had PC's on every desk and Apple was something you gave the teacher. Gates, Wozniak, and Jobs were still smoking weed in college when I learned NC Machining. Today, the term "CNC Programmer" is a misnomer as these kids all think using a CAD/CAM program is what it is all about and have no clue. MasterCam™ and the like only spit out what you spit in. If you don't know G-Code and tooling, any wrong data input will result in a mucked up program and finished part. If you don't have a basic machining background, you have no clue what feed and speed are all about. Now, today, I would not hesitate to use a CAD/CAM software to generate a G-Code program on any 3-D milling job. The cost of scrapping out a huge piece of aluminum, steel, or even plutonium cannot be accepted. I'm just saying if you've never had to calculate out and write an NC program long hand, you are not in the same league. Quick: TAN 30° x .06?

Tim Daley(MI)

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]