Re: Cube Root

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on January 12, 2019 at 10:58:16 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: Cube Root posted by Jack - Iowa on January 12, 2019 at 08:46:37:

Back in the mid 70's, the company I was working for had purchased a Pratt & Whitney STAR-TURN NC Lathe to add to the Warner & Swasey two NC Turret Lathes we already had. I was the department supervisor/programmer/process engineer so had to teach myself and a few others, the boss for one, all about it. GENERAL NUMERIC/FANUC were relatively new to the NC machine tool industry and in 1975 the transition was underway from NC Machining to CNC Machining. FANUC would be the world leader by the 80's. We were one of two US companies who had a new P&W NC Lathe and so the Japanese had sent a technician over with a basic 12 page operation manual. It was assumed one already knew G-Code programming. the tech spent two weeks with me as I translated things for him so he could write and put in the soon to be published in English technical manuals for the machine and control. It was funny to see how they write just - like they talk with broken English. Some of it translated into the manuals as well. In the 70's and early 80's it was all about competing with the wily Japanese. In the mid-1980's it now included Germany too so if you had language skills in Japanese and German, you were one up in the industry. This was the birth of the new world-class global economy system. Toyota came to the US in the early 70's to observe GM production and then went back and made Dr. Demming their mfg god and made cars a lot better. The Germans always were tops in engineering. My last company as Manufacturing Process Engineer took me to the BMW company where the new young Indian engineers were double and triple tolerancing dimensions -many details were grind finish tolerances needlessly. You can have all the paper degrees in the world but if you have no hands-on, real-life world experience, they don't mean a thing.

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]