Re: December 7th 1941

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Daley(MI) on December 08, 2018 at 06:27:24 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Re: December 7th 1941 posted by Dean on December 07, 2018 at 20:07:49:

When I was a senior in High School, in my US Government class, for three weeks we discussed WWII. The teacher, who was also the football coach, back when football actually meant something you could be proud of, had just purchased his own new, state-of-the-art VCR, a huge SONY BETA unit, about the size of a small suitcase. He had a pre-recorded tape of "TORA TORA TORA" and so each day we'd watch section of the movie and then analyze and discuss the events that were involved leading up to the attack on Pearl Harbor. Video Cassette Recorders were new to the commercial consumer market then. Pre-recorded movies were available for like $125 and there were no 'Video Stores' to go to ford movie rentals. BETA was the only format, VHS would soon follow and eventually become the preferred format. The reason why is still a mystery because BETA is a much better format. My theory is BETA only had about a 2 hour limitation on a tape whereas VHS could allow up to 6 hours per tape. The BETA format was and is still the format used by TV and news stations. Nowadays everything is digital. Anyway, I was intrigued by the new technology and VCR machine because I was also an electronics geek, and secondly because I was and am a WWII buff. It is highly doubtful that today no high school (or college) government/history class would show any movie about WWII to a class. It's probable no high school (or college) history textbook even has chapters on WWII either.

Tim Daley(MI)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]