Re: electrical help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Island Mike on November 06, 2018 at 17:46:05 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: electrical help posted by stevej on November 06, 2018 at 12:57:30:

Couple of things. You obviously need a battery big enough to meet the starting requirements. It is best not to exceed 10% of the battery amps when charging.
A charger with a 2 amp auto function can be used. However, for these small batteries it is best to use a battery tender, when the vehicle is parked. Typically they charge at about 1 amp. The battery can be left plugged in. I have one that gets plugged in for about 5 or 6 months every winter. Battery is from 2006.
It has two 500cc high compression cylinders.

All above is for bikes, but yours is similar. The last battery for a 900cc high compression 3 cylinder bike, was 14 amps. They do not state the CCA.
I am not familiar with anything on your putt putt.

I check the battery at rest. 12.7 volts. Turn the key on 11.7 volts. Press the start button 10.7 volts. At idle 13.5 and on up to 14.5 with more revs.
Newer bikes have the headlight come on, when the key is turned on. A good battery should still be able to crank the engine. But if the battery has dropped to half charge while sitting, there could be problems. Half flat is 12.25 volts. I check the volts often on all the bikes to get to know the battery state.

Island Mike

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]