Re: Clearing old woods of brush

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K.LaRue-VA on April 09, 2018 at 09:36:55 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: Clearing old woods of brush posted by laaryb on April 01, 2018 at 13:53:30:

We have 12 acres in Central Virginia that was nearly impassable after a hurricane in 2004, and more bad weather in 2005 and 2006. We have some areas so full of downed pines, I had to cut tunnels thru them. All work was done with the 8N or 2N, and my chain saw. Some areas are far from "cleared" but most is now accessible, and starting to look better. Cut a trail, and the forest seems to thin out on either side of it without much more work.

If I wanted it done fast, and was willing to pay the bill, one of those chippers on a skid-steer could have turned it all into mulch in a week or two. The guys I talked to back in 2005-2006 wanted $1000 a day, and couldn't tell me how many days they would be at it. They wanted me to pay for four days up front, and then by the day, until they were done, or I was broke.

The pines were no loss to us. They are not worth the trouble to cut for firewood, and there was no way a logger could harvest them without losing all the poplar, walnut, maple, oak, chesnut, pecan, holly, cedar, blackberry, and raspberry that we wanted to keep. As the good trees got healthier, there has been less deadfall to deal with, and we are still getting more firewood than we can use.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Subject: 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : http://www.yourwebsite.com Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL: http://www.myimages.com/mypic.jpg
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]