tractor fire in the garage

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by burthudson on March 13, 2018 at 20:50:45 [URL] [DELETE] :

Late Oct. @ 3:15 AM my wife said the Kubota tractor is on fire in the garage! I run to the garage, picked the 30lb fire ext from the door way and put the fire out on the floor and the roof boards. Now this 100yr old garage is 60 feet long with steel roof and siding. After thinking I had put the fire out, I went to the opposite end of the garage and backed my 651 Ford 1958 {dad bought this new}, to a safe distance away. Then I saw fire again and picked the 10 pound fire ext and put out the roof boards and the floor. At this point I realize that the fire was being feed by diesel. My wife came out with another 10 pound fire ext. and I put the roof out and the floor, by that time I was thinking I had better act my age and sit down and let go. Then I could see the fire trucks coming, but the first people to arrive was my son and his wife. They got a call from the alarm co. because I forgot to turn the alarm off and they get the second call. The house phone was busy with my wife calling FD. The Kubota tried to start do to a short some where and being under the fuel tank made of ABS it melted a hole in the tank dumping 4 Gals of fuel on the hot starter. The Kubota, the loader, the 5ft. belly mower were a total loss. The insurance paid for replacement, but no insurance on the garage do to its age about $10,000 loss. The rest of the story is I had this serviced by the dealer for winter about a month before and had mowed grass for 3hrs 3 days earlier. the last time it was running. I once owned 65 tractors from 1939 to 1964 never had a problem. This newer tractor burns???? The scary part is the garage attached to the house has had tractors stored there many years. I am thankful for more good luck than bad, had we not seen this fire early. It would have burnt the garage and than onto the barn 120ft.x40ft full of tractors, boats, other toys and tractor parts. STAY safe. Burt.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL:
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]