Re: What is

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Island Mike on March 04, 2018 at 23:10:10 [URL] [DELETE] :

In Reply to: What is posted by Dave Smith on March 04, 2018 at 11:47:25:

5/16 braided polyester, not nylon, not polypropelene, not three strand. Get 3/8 for a better grip if you want. I have a piece of 1/2 inch. Used on the farm for everything. Use it for putting tension on trees to cut down. Had it since 1982. You can clean this stuff if it gets filthy. 1/2 inch will lift 5000 pounds. Forgot what the breaking strain of the thinner stuff is. Probably around 2000 pounds. I use mostly of 5/16 on the small boat. Tie a bowline in the end. Or the marine shop can splice a loop for you. Tape and burn the ends if you cut it. Costs more $$ for the sail boat line, but it is worth it. Most of the cheaper stuff is not UV resistant, and will break down in a year or so. We often get 15 years or more on the boats, and they get beat up. I have 4 low stretch lines going from the deck to the top of the mast and back. They get put under a lot of tension at times, and are out in the weather full time. Been there about years I think.

Island Mike

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:
Name   : 
E-Mail : 
Message: To add a single image to your post, click here. To add multiple images to your post, click here. Optional Link URL : Link Title : Website Title Optional Image URL:
Enter image characters into the text box.

Press Preview Message button below to proofread message & check if images and/or links are shown before posting message. Press
browser's back button if correction is needed. Press Post Message button on Preview Message page to finalized your post. Thanks!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Off Topics Forum ] [ FAQ ]